28 years ago today, I was born in Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A. to Audrey and Justin Wong.
A little soul, beautiful, clear, and as pure as could be. Bravely journeying forward from the comfortable safe waters of my mother’s womb into this bright sterile place they call a hospital feeling a little lost-pital, the first door into a world of unknown.
A baby lotus bud, born without expectation. Loved without condition. Accepted fully, received completely, given everything my parents could possibly give.
There is no greater gift than the gift of life and even if I carried my parents on my back for the rest of my days I could never fully repay them.
Upon receiving such a remarkable gift the next question is, what do you do with it?
I believe that your life’s journey represents how you carry that gift.
Life has been generous and my path has propelled me forward into a new world of traveling, healing, and expanding in Southeast Asia. It has been three months of growth, challenge, and absolute joy.
But as Marcel Proust says, “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
This time and space away have given me fresh perspective, immense gratitude, and a deeper understanding of the meaning of home.
What is home?
Home can be a place, a person, a memory, a feeling, an energy. It is many things to many people...and here is a window into what home means to me.
AN ODE TO HOME
- Koala hugs from my sister, Lauren
- Sunday breakfast potatoes made by my Dad
- Hosting family gatherings and holidays with my Mom
- Hearing my Grandma tell me the story of how she kidnapped me from the hospital when I was born for the hundredth time and listening intently and joyfully like it's the first time
- Sharing laughs, the latest adventures, and eight course Chinese meals with first cousins, second cousins, third cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts and uncles, family, and sneaking in the occasional best friend (Jake!)
Home is…the Bay Area (Oakland and San Francisco)
- Riding my bike home from the market with a jetpack full of groceries
- Hearing Feliciano’s footsteps up the stairs followed by a kiss on the cheek
- Exploring life’s magic and mysteries MuSoMing with Michelle and Zanette
- Community dinners, coordinating crazy schedules, and late night chats with C.Lai.
- Cwerking with my Delivering Happiness team, Jenn, Sunny, Zaharah, and Jeff
- Pillow talk, ALL the feels, and ALL the foods with Tanya
- Late night snuggles, smoothies, and coconut oil popcorn with Jeremy
- Coworking at CO+HOOTS and catch-up's at Green with Jenny
Home is…New York
- Safely landing and reconnecting with the Wonder Wife, Karla
- Arriving – the right friend at the right time with my longest known amiga, Karmay
- Infinite mirror mirror same same sister sister soul shares with Vickie
Home is…Koh Phangan
- Coming. Going. Rising. Falling.
- Kirtan. Ecstatic Dance. Shibari. Tantra.
- Flowing in love and setting it free
- Being surrounded by and remembering I am magic
- Floating in stillness for hours in the infinite ocean
- Riding on motorbike in the jungle howling to the stars
- Breathtaking sunsets, reflecting like glass, no separation between sky and sea
Home is...MAMMA BALI
- Feeling the heartbeat of Pachamama beneath you
- Feeling the warmth of Father Sky above you
- Feeling acceptance and belonging, being safely held in the space in-between
Home is traveling around the world only to find that what you were looking for has been there all along.
Home is discovering that spirit is at the center of everything you do.
Home is coming full circle in wholeness understanding that YOU are the love you’ve been waiting for.
Home is many things to many people.
My birthday wish: that you may find home wherever you go, wherever you grow, within and all around you.
Here's to home,
Kelsey Lotus Wong
p.s. a collaborative Spotify playlist I created inspired by HOME. Feel free to add songs that remind you of home!
Lotus rising | Koh Phangan, Thailand